The Last Bookstore
453 S. Spring St.
Downtown L.A., 90013
Come chase away the ghouls on Friday the 13th with an intrepid band of Slakers reading from the pages of L.A.‘s city journal. If you’re lucky, we’ll convince Harry Shannon to throw a black cat under a ladder and right into a mirror.* After all ghosts have been appropriately busted, we’ll call up onstage:
• James Greer After which, what happens? More roses grow. You can’t stop them from growing. When they grow, you go after them and slaughter anyone who stands in your way.
• Paul Gachot What emerges clearest from the crazy-making theories is the simplest idea: Kong is a romantic. He doesn’t care what happens to him, not if he can’t have his impossible love.
• Christopher Byars Dale fired again and continued to discharge the shotgun even after they had left his line of fire. The children shifted in another direction, just to have a direction.
• Diana Turken while she slept dust blew beneath the cracked window / and look, oranges in the trees / poppies in the yard we left the snow on the pass
• Joe Donnelly & Harry Shannon “I really don’t, and I must confess I have little experience with this. No one has ever threatened to kill me before. At least not seriously.” … “There’s always a first time, yes?”
*This reading will not feature Harry Shannon throwing a black cat under a ladder and into a mirror. But he might heave Joe Donnelly through a window.